Portugal Investor Immigration:
The Portuguese Golden Visa program is a program providing citizenship by investment in real estate properties. The system was launched in October 2012 and has become one of the most successful citizenship programs in the world by investment programmes. Non-EU citizens are clearly expected to retain the investment for 5 years. After 5 years, investors and family members are granted a permanent residence status, and then qualify to become Portuguese citizens after 6 years ( 1 more year after being awarded PR status). Applicants are given a “golden visa” after making the real estate investment which allows visa-free travel to the entire EU before the applicants wait for their PR status after 5 years. Portugal is a part of the European Union so this process allows you to become part of the EU as well.
On 8 October 2012, the Portuguese Government made amendments to Immigration Law 29/2012 allowing non-EU citizens to receive a temporary EU residence permit for up to five years in exchange for investments in the real estate of Portugal. The new regulations offer non-EU citizens a simple and quick way to obtain a five-year Residence Permit (Golden Visa) for property investors.
Pursuant to Portuguese Nationality Law 37/81 of 3 October 2006, amended by Decree Law No. 322-A/2001 of 14 December, Article 6, the Government shall grant the Portuguese nationality by naturalization to foreigners who fulfill the requirement to be legally resident in Portuguese territory for at least five years.
Portugal’s passport ranks sixth most strong in the world. This provides visa-free travel to more than 172 countries. In every country in the European Union, Portuguese passport holders have the freedom to learn, work and stay.
After acquisition of real estate with a valuation of €500,000, the Portuguese Golden Residency Permit will be issued indefinitely for an initial term of one year, and will then be extended for a total of five years with two successive terms of 2 years. The holder can apply for a Permanent Residency Permit after the five years have elapsed.
- Investment in real estate for a minimum of 5 years.
- Acquisition of property worth € 500,000
- Relaxed Residency Requirement
- Residency requirements are only 7 (seven) days during the first year and 14 (fourteen) days every 2 (two) years afterwards.
- Benefits of the Golden Visa
- Children aged 18 and above involved in continuous education qualify.
- Parents (if dependent on applicant) will also qualify as dependents.
- No need to obtain a visa to enter the European Union countries.
- Living and working in Portugal, even with residency in a different country
- Residency extended to family members
- Extremely low minimum stay periods
- Permanent Residency after 5 years
- Citizenship after 6 years. After which, one can live/work anywhere out of 26 Schengen countries.
- Health and Education benefits similar to those of Portuguese citizens.
- European Residency 6 months
- Full family residency. You and your family enjoy European Residency status and all of its benefits
- No need to reside in the country
- Can lead to Portuguese Citizenship after 5 years
- If Citizenship obtained in the future, dual nationality allowed
- Open to most non-EU nationalities
- Allows free travel within Schengen area, no visa or further documentation required
- You can travel directly from your country of origin to any Schengen area country once your PR has been issued, no need to travel to Portugal first
- Reside in any other Schengen area country for up to a period of three months within every six-month period with the right of multiple entries
- Establish businesses, open bank accounts and expand investments worldwide
- Only those staying in Portugal longer than six months a year and deemed resident in Portugal must pay tax over income obtained in Portugal, meaning the Portuguese tax authorities will expect Golden Visa holders to only pay taxes on income related to activities in Portugal and not any other primary country of residence
- Great infrastructure
- The Portuguese PR extends to Spouse and children below 18 years of age
- Adult children above 18 years of age qualify as long as they prove financial dependency
- Parents of main applicant also qualify as long as they prove financial dependency
- The Portuguese PR allows all holders to work and study in Portugal
- Highly developed country, which enjoys the world’s 19th highest quality of life and one of the world’s most globalized and peaceful nations
- Political Stability